Sunday, October 09, 2005

It Ain't Easy Being Green

I got the plants in! I chose Saturday to work on it, which was kinda stupid, since rain was forecast. So I'm thinking, Hey, gardening in the rain is cool! It'll soften up the earth and make digging so much easier! What didn't occur to me until it was too late was that gardening in the rain means getting seventy different kinds of muddy. Even that was fun until I realized that I'm the loser who has to clean it up with someone (read: me, loser) tracks mud into the house. Oh well. I waited until it dried a little to take photos:





Here's the rose glow barberry, cordyline red star, and Huntington carpet rosemary:



Also, mounds of dirt above the slope where I still need to ritually sacrifice the roses (I pulled one out on Saturday!) and get some nicer plants in.





Here's the "razzleberri" chinese fringe flower:



It should get to be about 3' x 3', so hopefully it'll fill it quite a bit and provide an exclamation point at the end of the yard.

I also went out and bought a bunch of tricolor sedum and another firepower nandina to fill in around the rocks. Ground cover's one of my highest priorities, seeing as how without it to soften the rocks, my front yard will resemble a quarry or low-rent beach renewal project you'd see in some trashy Delawere beach town.

1 comment:

HutchDeluxe said...

I will take the free roses if it isn't too late!